Struggling to make ends meet is a common challenge for many individuals. When payday feels far away and bills pile up, cash advances and payday loans may seem like a viable option. However, it’s crucial to be aware of the growing issue of cash advance scams in today’s economy. With numerous pop-up stores appearing similar, it can be difficult to differentiate between safe lenders and bad actors. To avoid costly mistakes, keep an eye out for the following warning signs:
- Upfront Fees: The most significant red flag is a lender demanding upfront fees. Legitimate cash advance lenders understand that borrowers seek these loans due to financial constraints and won’t charge any fees until after you receive the advance.
- “No Credit Check” Claims: Be cautious of promises like “Bad Credit OK” or “No credit information required.” While some reputable lenders may not focus heavily on credit history, they will still assess your credit report before making a decision.
- Phone Offers: Cash advances are not typically offered over the phone. If someone contacts you, claiming to offer a cash advance, it’s likely a scam. Report the phone number and company information to the authorities and avoid sharing your details with them.
- Similar but Not Identical Names: Scammers often mimic legitimate cash advance companies, using similar color schemes, fonts, and wording to deceive customers. Familiarize yourself with reputable companies and thoroughly research any suspiciously similar ones.
- Check for Licensing: Legitimate cash advance companies are required to be licensed in the states where they operate. You have the right to request their licensure information, and if they fail to provide it or no such information is available, they are likely not a legitimate business.
Fortunately, Wise Loan, where we operate with a state license in Texas, is here to help you! Whether you call us or visit our website, you can begin the application process conveniently online. We make it easy for you to meet your financial needs without falling prey to scams.
The recommendations contained in this article are designed for informational purposes only. Essential Lending DBA Wise Loan does not guarantee the accuracy of the information provided in this article; is not responsible for any errors, omissions, or misrepresentations; and is not responsible for the consequences of any decisions or actions taken as a result of the information provided above.
More information on Installment Loans and how they work in your state: